Monday, April 16, 2012

Where to get Best tram Ride ?

Hi.Help, SammyFloyd,Drumbrake, Katetam. Decided to spend final day at H.K. with a Scenic tram ride with my 3 kids. Please advice where I could catch the best one, with very scenic route . How much should I pay if I take round trip from beginning back to beginning route ? What Mtr stop should I get off to catch the tram ? Many Thanks. Going to HK this weekend.



Where to get Best tram Ride ?


North Point to Western Market or vice-versa is a good ride that takes you through Causeway Bay, Wanchai,Admiralty and Central. If you start at either North Point Terminus or Western Market you will be able to get on an empty tram and get the best (upstairs front or rear) seats for ';grandstand'; views. It will cost HK$2 (HK$1 for kids under 12) and is described here;





hongkongextras.com/trams.htmlhttp://www.hong鈥?/a>



Where to get Best tram Ride ?


Fare will be HK$2 each way (HK$1 for kids) if you%26#39;re doing a ';round trip';. MTR Station for Western Market is Sheung Wan. MTR Station for North Point Tram Terminus is North Point.




I wouldn%26#39;t use ';scenic'; to describe a tram ride. Rather, you get to see Hong Kong Island%26#39;s various areas, from old residential areas to new commercial areas in a span of a little more than an hour.





I would suggest boarding the tram at its western end at Whitty St or Kennedy Town. Due to the lack of MTR access to this area, it%26#39;s relatively older with less new development. You will see some store fronts that still look like they are from yesteryear. By the time you get to Central, you will only see skyscrapers since it%26#39;s HK%26#39;s financial center. Wan Chai%26#39;s Johnston Road is noteworthy too as it%26#39;s a mix of new and old. Many old buildings have been torn down in recent years. Causeway Bay is the shopping center of HK. North Point is more residential. If your tram terminates at North Point, you will get to go through a fresh food market at Chun Yeung St. If you continue the ride further east, it will be a mix of commercial and residential when you get to quarry Bay and Tai Koo.




In my recent trip, I took a tram ride from Western Market till Sheung Wan. I enjoyed it, even though it took like an hour. As SammyFloyd said, you will see the different side of Hong Kong, from housing area, shopping mall, business district, skyscrapers etc.





After the tram terminate at Sheung Wan, I explored the nearby wet market, few famous temples and Museum of Coastal Defense. If the weather is nice, you will see a superb view of nearby island if you explore the trail around Museum of Coastal Defence.




I guess you got off the tram at Shau Kei Wan instead of Sheung Wan. Nice trip. :-)




To Sammyfloyd and Solent Traveller. Many Thanks.




Hehehehe...Thanks for correcting me, Tin. I always get confused between Seung Wan and Sau Kei Wan.





I did got off at Sau Kei Wan.

No comments:

Post a Comment