Friday, April 13, 2012

Taxi, or car service to Disney's Hollywood Hotel?

Hey guys, sorry for all of these messages, but we leave tomorrow and I am getting all ancy!





We are arriving separate from the rest of the party that arrived today in Hong Kong. The 2 of us are going direct to Disney%26#39;s Hollywood Hotel from the airport.





The rest of our party took a cab today (4 people) and it cost them $300 HKD





From what I am reading it seems that it should be around $120HKD for a transfer via taxi to the Disney Hotels from the airport.





However it seemed as though all of the taxi drivers were attempting to negotiate pricing with the group that arrived today. A part of me would rather simply book a car service on hotelinhongkong.net/hong_kong/transport/airp鈥?/a>





For $460HKD I can get a car service that is waiting for us when we get there. Seems like a somewhat extravagant expense, but comforting to know that I don%26#39;t have to do anything once I am there.





We don%26#39;t arrive too terribly late (7:00pm) so I imagine if I did go the cab route it would not be a bother finding one.





Does anyone have experience with that service? I am somewhat more inclined to do that so I am not having to negotiate taxi prices after our long flight.





Or am I just not being adventurous and trying to get out of working with the taxi :-)



Taxi, or car service to Disney's Hollywood Hotel?


I can only assume your friends did not use the official taxi rank at the airport and were approached by one of the unlicensed sharks that operate at the airport. The fare they were charged was outrageous. The fare from the airport to Disneyland in a licensed green taxi from the airport taxi rank is about HK$110 with maybe a little extra for luggage depending on how many items. If it was a licensed green taxi your friends used and they know the registration number or taxi drivers number they should put in an official complaint to the Transport Department on the taxi complaint hotline 2889 9999 or by e-mail;





http://www.info.gov.hk/tcu/taxi/index.htm





Approx taxi fares from the airport are shown here;





hongkongairport.com/eng/鈥axi.html











Taxi, or car service to Disney's Hollywood Hotel?


That%26#39;s what I assumed happened. It sounded like they were approached, and didn%26#39;t use a licensed taxi.





So I am pretty safe if I find a green or blue taxi and tell them I want to go to the Hollywood Hotel? I printed out the address in both Chinese as well as English...however from what I am reading and have been told, most all of the taxi driver speak some English, and will understand where I am trying to get to.





Well there goes my extravagant idea for car service :-)




Follow the signs to the taxi rank at the airport (only a short walk from the Arrivals Hall) but ignore anybody who might approach you along the way asking you if you want a taxi. You can take a green red or blue taxi to Disneyland. Blue would be the cheapest, then Green then Red but difference in fare isn%26#39;t really worth bothering with. There%26#39;s usually a ';supervisor'; at the taxi rank who speaks English and will ask you where you want to go and makes sure you get the right cab and the driver knows your destination. Many taxi drivers do speak some English and know hotel names but it%26#39;s always good idea to have the name of your hotel written in Chinese. There shouldn%26#39;t be any negotiating of fare which should be the fare on the meter plus any extras such as luggage in the boot. If you decide to tip (it%26#39;s not expected), make it a small one, just HK$5 is plenty.




It%26#39;s a shame that touts can still be found at the airport, ripping off tourists. But the airport is a big place, and I can only assume the authorities are doing their best to keep them out. Best to ignore them and walk straight to the taxi rank. Always pay for the ride according to the meter, and request a printed receipt which contains the cab%26#39;s license number.

No comments:

Post a Comment