Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mirador Mansions

Anybody thinking of staying at Mirador Mansions, Nathan Road which is popular with backpackers and low budget travellers may like to consider this article before making a decision on whether to stay there;





www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp鈥?/a>



Mirador Mansions


What a load of utter tosh!





More prostitutes are found outside (and inside probably) the Sheraton and the Peninsular, and as for drugs...





Thousands of tourists and businessmen / women use its guesthouses and hostels every year without any problems whatsoever.





It seems the value of the HK Standard is getting worse and worse (if that was possible). It%26#39;s going to get to the stage where they can%26#39;t even give it away - in fact they have to tempt people with a %26#39;prize%26#39; of HK$500 to take it these days!



Mirador Mansions


Agree with Drumbrake - it was just HK tabloid journalism (not that they are any good at it). That area might not be the nicest part of town, but that article was just ';beat-up journalism'; at its best. They were making a story out of nothing special.



There are better stories to be had in Wan Chai and Mongkok, among other places.



It is not a place I want to hang out, but at the same time, you get what you pay for. I have seen much worse places in Sydney, New York, London, Paris and Singapore.



Just take it in context.




Hi There, I%26#39;m not sure how old these posts are, but to anyone thinking of staying in Mirador Mansions.... ... DONT!!!!!! I did, BIG mistake. It is DISCUSTING. I was scared, the place is like a jail, a complete fire trap, and dodgy people are everywhere. My husband and I thought we%26#39;d save a few bucks and do one night on the cheap by staying there, those few bucks have scared me forever, I can still feel the sluminess of it. As soon as we were shown our room, (or tiled cupboard to be more accurate) we went out to the markets and bought cheap sheets to wrap ourselves like body armour in when entering the room, we kept the sheets around us at all times like a hazard suits so that we wouldnt touch anything in the room. If my foot flew out in the middle of the night, I freaked. The room is tiny, noisy, DIRTY, the shower is at the foot of the bed, over the toilet, everywhere is covered in grime, it really is discusting, no joke. I only stayed because I had the comfort of knowing my husband was there, and even then I was still freaked. We barracaded the door whilst trying to sleep (got no sleep at all, too freaked out) with suitcases and we set booby traps inside just in case. DO NOT STAY AT MIRADOR MANSIONS!!!!! Or any other cheap cheap budget hostel in hong kong, the standards are different to most places, they dont have any. Trust me, its frikkin scary, especially for females. If there was a fire or an attack or break in, you will be cornered, have nowhere to go, and noone will hear you scream.




At the end of the day Hopless, the old adage is true. In this life, you get what you pay for.





I also looked into staying at a guest house in Mirador Mansions a few years ago and like you I was horrified at a couple of the places I saw. I took the decision to hit the credit card and go to a proper hotel.





I guess it is all down to personal choice. I know that many TA posters have praised some of the hostels in HK. Whether these are in Mirador Mansions or Chunking Mansions or somewhere else, I don%26#39;t know, but what I do know is that personally I would not stay in a place like that.




But Mirador is way better than staying at Chungking. :D




No need to book a room in Mirador. Instead, go and have a look. If it doesn%26#39;t meet your standards there are plenty of other options.





There are regular fire inspections in both Mirador and Chungking Mansions.




With all that said I would like to add that we did make it out with our posessions in tact. Lets just say that if you%26#39;re after an experience, you%26#39;ll get one. I cannot advise of which exact level I stayed on at Mirador Mansions, however most levels appeared to be very similar to the one I stayed on. There may have been a magic sanctuary behind a closed door, that, I cannot comment on. Although I doubt its true. You get what you pay for, agreed!




Which guest house you stayed in?




I absolutely agree with drumbrake.





I walked into Mirador Mansions last year at 2 AM with no problems whatsoever. Took the lift to the 12th floor, and headed to the absolutely WONDERFUL cozy, safe, and sparkling clean confines of the Cosmic Guest House.





Sure, there are a few dodgy people outside Mirador and Chungking Mansions. Just be confident, walk in like you own the place, and breeze past the occasional soul that approaches you. You%26#39;ll be fine.




If you cannot name the place where you stayed, it%26#39;s a little like staying at the Imperial Hotel in Nathan Rd, having a bad experience, and then saying all hotels in Tsim Sha Tsui should be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment