Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Outline for trip - please give your comments.

I have come up with a tentative itineray for my time in Beijing - prob late Aug/early Sept - would appreciate any comments or advice about possible issues.





Hotel probably Raffles as seems to be surprisingly good value for the location - there website says 1200 CNY for an Executive Inc room - does anyone know if this includes club lounge access as it seems almost too good to be true?





Also looked at Grand Hyatt primarily for location above mall with foodcourt and metro. But is much more expensive just for room!





Day 1 - Arrive and settle in. In the evening walk around the food markets. Go visit Tiananman Square lit up at night.





Day 2 - Walk to Tiananman Square to see by day - also Forbidden City (using audio guide)





Day 3 - Tour to Summer Place (as posts here suggest that is not so easy to reach) including Lama Temple and Panda Garden.





Day 4 - Metro to Temple of Heavan and park. Book duck dinner at taste of China in Gran Hyatt here it is very good!





Day 5 - Visit the Great Wall. (see concerns)





Day 6 - Either second vist to wall?? Or walking tour with food with Hias Gourmet culinary excursions.





Day 7 Fly home.





I have a few concerns ..





Is it worth visiting more than one section of the wall? Enough to use another day or would I be better seeing more of Beijing?





I should say a have a small difficulty walking - I can manaage steps and slopes (although would find rails helpful which I have seen in photos at Badaling section). People seems to prefer the Mutianyu section but say it is steeper with many more steps - but I would quite like to try the tobbogan run!!





However the Badaling section also seems much easier to get to. I was thinking there I could take the train from North Bejing statiion which looks amazing rather than a tour and then go at my own pace. But could not see a metro station for North Beijing railway station? Is there one close?





Is this enough or too much for the time available? I might like to vist the Silk Market or other shopping?





Also I believe that Bejing is largely very safe - more than many cities - so long as you are polite and sensible and take care with belongings. But I have read several posts here that refer to great curisity towards foreigners - I am a litle concerned that my obvious difficutlies with walking might attract attention which while not in itself a problem if I was with a group could be a little intimidating for a female travelling alone. It may not help that I am also very pale skinned and have slightly red hair!





I would be very grateful for your insights.





Outline for trip - please give your comments.


Foreigners are not much of a novelty in Beijing. Quite many live here and even speak mandarin. If you some stares it might come from Chinese tourists.



For shopping also consider Ya Xiu. Same merchandise as Silk Market but the sales girls are not as annoying.



I don%26#39;t see any reason to visit the Wall twice. Understand that it sits on top of mountain ridges so it is not flat.



First night I would go to Wangfujing and check out the food stalls.



Outline for trip - please give your comments.


minor correct for Day 4 - restaurant at the Grand hyatt is called ';Made in China';.





Also for Day 4 - across from the subway exit leading to the Temple of Heaven is HongQiao Pearl Market. You could shop there too if you%26#39;re into pearls and semi precious stones. But you%26#39;ve got to know how to differentiate real pearls from fakes! Unfortunately, can%26#39;t give you any advice on this.





No section of the wall is ';easy'; since it%26#39;s all on hilly areas. Visiting one section is sufficient. You could consider visiting the 798 Art district on Day 6 if you%26#39;re interested in viewing modern works by Chinese artists.




Celi-- For my money, I%26#39;d stay in Beijing, and pass on another section of the wall.





I see you did not mention the Drum and Bell Towers. Worth a visit if you have time. The hike up the stairs at both places IS challenging though.





Also, walking through the local hutongs is fascinating -- especially if you could scare up a local who is fluent in Mandarin. Very safe, and it provides you with a close up view of a rapidly vanishing environment.





Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment