Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Chops

Will be in Beijing next week and was wondering if anyone could tell me the best place to get a chop made? I%26#39;m presuming different costs for different materials. Would you know approximate costs?

Thanks!

Chops

Price varies according to material, size, where you buy and of course your bargaining skills.

Sorry, I%26#39;m not that familiar with Beijing to know where would be a good place to get those made. :(

Chops

GanderGirls

Sorry to barge in on your post but I%26#39;m intrigued....what are %26#39;chops%26#39;? Those I%26#39;m aware of are of the meat variety (lamb, pork) and I didn%26#39;t think you meant those!! Can you please enlighten an ignorant me!


You might know them as ';seals'; instead of ';chops';. These are pieces of stone, wood or other hard material, at the bottom of which your name is carved in Chinese script. These were traditionally used in lieu of signatures, on official documents.

chinahighlights.com/travelguide/鈥eals.htm has more information.


Thanks bjticket and ellyse for the info. I will check out the market this weekend (we arrive on Friday!). Would really love to have one for my little girl. I already have one for myself but it%26#39;s made of plastic. Love to have one made of a different material and perhaps round instead of square.

looking forward to visiting Beijing!


Thank you, Ellyse, you really are a fountain of knowledge!


You%26#39;re welcome, both of you. :)


Hongqiao pearl market also has a stall on the 3rd flr ( same level as the pearl stalls) that makes such seals. Takes about an hour to make.

The Silk Market also sells them as does Panjiayuan market.


Thanks, Hainult! I will check that out as well. Nice to know a couple of places to go.

  • why dousbports founder
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment