Tuesday, April 24, 2012

currency question

Hi.



I%26#39;m leaving for 8 days in China as a first time visitor. I%26#39;m trying to figure out how the money is worked. Does anyone know of a website that has pictures of the various bills and explains how it is broken down into denominations?





Thanks!



currency question


鈥ikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yuan_collection.jpg



currency question


Hi, I live in China, and I have to tell you that most of the bills shown on that site are either no longer in circulation or are quite rarely used. The really valid ones on this site are the 20, 50, and 100 yuan notes. 5 and 10 yuan notes are also commonly used, but they do not look like the ones pictured. 1 yuan notes are sometimes used, but 1 yuan coins are much more common. There are also coins for 1 jiao, which is 1/10 of one yuan, and 5 jiao, which is half a yuan. This may all sound complicated, but it really isn%26#39;t. You%26#39;ll get the hang of it quickly. You may also want to know that rmb (abbreviation for renmenbi), yuan, and kuai are all basically interchangeable terms denoting the same thing (like dollars, bucks, etc.).




1 RMB notes are more popular than 1 RMB coins in some parts of the country, eg Beijing.



In Yunnan province I found that people (especially the minorities) didn%26#39;t like coins of any kind.




Thanks for all the info. I think I%26#39;ve got it all figured out. I%26#39;m very excited about this trip. Leaving in 44 hours!




No problem, you%26#39;re welcome. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment